There are many things that managers might do to create and nurture a positive work environment. Imagine a scenario that illustrates a negative environment and toxic employee and a manager who turns a blind eye. As a manager, how would you approach this scenario? How might you turn a negative or toxic situation into a positive and empowering one?
To Prepare for this Discussion:
- Review this Week’s Learning Resources, especially:
- Lindberg, P., & Vingård, E. (2012). Indicators of healthy work environments – a systematic review. Work, 41, 3032-3038.
- Ramesh, G., & Vasuki, K. (2013). Addressing employee’s underperformance by nurturing a positive work environment. Journal of Commerce & Management Thought, 4(1), 55–69.
- Smits, K. (2017). An invisible constraint: Don’t overlook the power of organizational culture. Here’s how to nurture a positive environment. PM Network, 31(5), 24.
- TEDx Talks. (2016, May 2). How to start changing an unhealthy work environment | Glenn D. Rolfsen | TEDxOslo [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYLb7WUtYt8
- The five most common types of conflict in the workplace. (n.d.). Retrieved July 12, 2017, from https://www.umes.edu/cms300uploadedFiles/5TypesofConflict.pdf
- TheTableGroup. (2013, February 6). The four disciplines of a healthy organization [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31fOTwc7MUA
- Consider your work environment, or one that you are familiar with and think about what aspects are positive and what are not. Then think about the manager’s role and their ability to impact it.
Post a cohesive response in which you:
- Describe a work environment or situation that you consider to be positive and what aspects stand out as making it that way.
- Describe a work environment or scenario where you have observed some negative aspects and the impact those have.
- Describe the role that a manager has in creating a healthy and positive environment. Provide an example from your own experience of specific actions or behaviors that you observed in a manager who nurtured a positive work environment.
- Explain the steps that a manager could take when there are things that are making the environment toxic. Provide examples to illustrate.
- Explain the steps individual employees can take to build a healthy and positive work culture.
Be sure to support your ideas by connecting them to the week’s Learning Resources, as well as other credible resources that you have read; or what you have observed and experienced.
General Guidance: Your original post, will typically be 3–4 paragraphs in length as a general expectation/estimate.