Science homework help. Final Writing Assignment
A. Assignment: Write a research essay (minimum of 1250 words) on the topic of your choice.
You may use any pattern of development you wish except narrative. For example, you can
pattern your essay as classification and division, cause and effect, exemplification,
comparison and contrast, etc. You may also use a mixture of these patterns as long as your
organizational structure is clear. Your essay may be persuasive or referential (informative).
B. Length: 1250 words minimum + “Works Cited” page
C. Documentation: Five sources required (minimum)
1. Sources Required: 4 peer-reviewed journal articles + 1 additional source (minimum)
2. Primary sources do not count as one of the five required sources.
3. Document with MLA 8 (2016) in-text citations and a “Works Cited” page.
4. Each additional source cited must be from a professional, credible, and reliable
publication. No “.com” sources from the internet!
5. Do not cite wikipedia, websites, dictionaries, encyclopedias, press releases,
advertisements, digests, blogs, message boards, flyers, pamphlets, leaflets,
commercials, polls, editorials, summaries, or notes.
6. Use as many sources as your essay or argument requires.
7. Each body paragraph must contain at least two references or quotations from one of
your source(s), each with a properly formatted parenthetical citation.
8. Do not include quotations that extend beyond TWO lines of text.
9. Include a “Works Cited” page on a separate and last page at the end of your essay.
D. General Format:
1. Format your essay in accordance with the MLA Handbook (8th ed. 2016) guidelines. See
the following link for full details: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/24/
2. Include your essay’s word count after the last line of your conclusion. The “Works Cited”
page does not factor into the word count.
F. Grammar & Mechanics: Write in formal Standard American English.
1. Do not use contractions, colloquialisms, or slang.
2. Do not use personal pronouns such as I, you, we, me, and us.
G. Due Dates:
1. November 13, 2019 – Outline & Works Cited Due (in-class, hardcopy)
2. December 2, 2019 – Rough Draft Due (in-class, hardcopy)
3. December 11, 2019 – Final Copy (Blackboard, PDF file)
H. How to Submit: Blackboard Assignment Page – PDF only
1. Submit your paper via the Blackboard assignment page in PDF format.
2. No papers will be accepted in person, in class, in Professor Shanafelt’s mail box, or by
any other method of submission other than the Blackboard assignment page (PDF file)